Temporary Resident Visa – Visitor Visa to Canada

Who needs a Temporary Resident Visa?

Most foreign nationals who want to visit relatives or friends in Canada, take short-term language courses (up to 6 months), visit Canadian tourist attractions require, or do business in Canada need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) - also, referred to as a visitor visa, can be issued as a single entry or a multiple entry visa. Usually, a multiple entry visa is valid for up to 10 years and allows staying in Canada for up to 6 months at a time. At the port of entry, the immigration border services may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. Once you are given a period of stay, they will put the date you need to leave in your passport. The immigration officer might also give you a document called a visitor record, which will show the date you need to leave by.

Before you apply for a visitor visa, it is important to understand whether you need one or not before entering Canada. Review the list of countries and territories whose citizens need a visitor visa.

In other cases, you may be required an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada.

What are the Visitor Visa (TRV) requirements?

To apply for a TRV, you have to meet the following criteria:

  • Have a valid travel document.
  • Proof that you have a sufficient amount of money for your stay.
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties to your home country (financial assets, job, family).
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
  • Have a Letter of Invitation from your family or friends you plan to visit in Canada.

How to apply for a Visitor Visa (TRV)?

  1. Check if you are eligible to travel to Canada.
  2. Prepare and gather all required documents to support your application.
  3. Apply online.

How to extend your TRV (Visitor Visa)

If you are already in Canada and want to stay longer, you could apply for an extension. If your application to extend your stay in Canada is approved, you will receive a visitor record.

A visitor record:
  • Is a document that gives a visitor status in Canada and allows to stay longer.
  • Includes a new expiry date (that’s the new date that you must leave Canada by).

Application for a visitor record should be submitted before the current status expired.

What is the difference between a visitor visa and a visitor record?

visitor record is not a visa. It is a document that gives you status in Canada and allows you to remain in Canada legally. Your visitor record will have an expiry date, at which point you must leave the country or submit another extension to remain in Canada legally.

Contact our company directly and we will help you to extend your stay in Canada.

Out of status in Canada - TRV (Visitor Visa) restoration

Once your current visitor visa expires, you are no longer to extend your visitor visa. If you want to stay in Canada then you will have to apply to restore your status or you will have to leave Canada. You have to apply for a Restoration of Status within 90 days of your visitor visa expiration date.

If you are out of status (your current visitor visa expired) and want to remain in Canada, you have to apply for a Restoration of Status within 90 days of your visitor visa expiration date. Our team can help you to restore your status. Contact us or book online consultation to check your eligibility for restoration of temporary resident status.

Previous refusals

Unfortunately, the TRV refusals have been significantly increased for the last several years. Thus, it is crucial to gather supporting documents and submit an application package that meets all Canadian immigration requirements and regulations.

Our company has extensive experience dealing with Visitor Visa (TRV) applications that were previously refused. If it is your case, we will help you to order GCMS notes and advise how to improve your new visa application.

If you need our professional assistance in obtaining a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV), contact us today and we will be happy to guide you through the entire application process.

Everyone’s journey to Canada is unique based on a variety of immigration categories.

Contact our immigration experts to start your journey!